Friday, July 1, 2016

Sōbudai-mae Station and other adventures

This post is mostly just an excuse to show you all some pictures, so it's not quite as focused as my last two. For the first few days, I basically just sat at the hotel and waited for Luke to get home. Getting a car and now having some free time with a long weekend, we have been much more adventurous and it barely feels like real life.

First things first, William turned ONE.

We filled up our small hotel rooms with balloons and ate cupcakes. William hated the cupcakes so much. He would poke the frosting, try to wipe it off on his tummy, get mad because he had frosting on his tummy, and then do it again. We really love him. He's happy here and content to get in the ergo and go go go. 

One of the nights this week, a family in the ward took us out to dinner at an Indian place off post. It was so good! The naan bread was huge and lighter than air. 
This was on the door of a bar we walked by. I felt personally discriminated against! I'll drink my alcohol elsewhere! *flounces off in a huff of American indignation*

After dinner we walked around the train station and I knew we had to come back with the kids! So a few days later, we walked to Sōbudai-mae Station and explored. 
The kid in me wanted to buy every little brightly colored food in the shop. The kids with me felt the same way. 

Those weird hot dogs totally gross me out. They are all shriveled up and dry looking. Probably the one non-delicious thing in there, but it had to be documented. 


I actually like the black sesame ice cream, but it may have to be one of those once in a lifetime experiences because peach was so delicious. It tasted just like eating a peach ring. 

Ivy and June picked out their treats at the 100 yen store. They chose these weird suckers with a little candy trapped inside and gum hiding in the stick. Three treats in one! They were actually pretty good. I'll have to stock up and send some to my nieces and nephews. 

I need to spend at least 10 more hours in the 100 yen store soon, but places like that are a surefire way to turn your kids into crazy monsters. So many fun tiny things. We also visited a ritzy Japanese grocery store. I would also add that to the list of "places I could stay all day," but it was fun to just have a quick peek. 

Luke was really excited to show me this little package of dried fish. Note the gaping holes where their eyes used to be. Blegh. 

And we finally stopped at a vending machine on the way home! That chocolate drink that Ivy is holding was not good. Not good at all. But the peach nectar that I picked was awesome and the girls loved their white grape juice. We want to find one that serves hot drinks. 

This morning, we drove over to SHA where we will be living, a mere 7 minute drive from our current location, at least on the weekend. It was so fun! We peeked in the windows of our future house, did some dreaming and scheming, then walked about a block to an awesome playground. Hotel living isn't the worst - maid service, per diem, close to Luke's work - but seeing how much fun it will be having our own place made me look forward to July 11th. 


Today we are going to take the train to Lalaport, a mall with some Japanese and some American stores. I am hoping to get June a few summer dresses because as of this week, she absolutely will not wear pants of any kind. 

Thanks for reading! If you ever want to call or see us, Facebook messenger works great, as does FaceTime for the Apple folks. We've love to see you!

3 comments:

  1. The peach ice cream sounds delicious and I'm so glad that moving into your "real" house is just around the corner! June had great timing on her changing wardrobe preferences, though, good luck with clothes shopping! I can't even imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, Weem!! He's adorable and I love his reaction to the cupcakes!😂 What a fun day exploring! 100 yen=$1? Roughly? Those suckers do sound like a kids dream. We'll take 'em!😉 call me "today" when you have time! I'm excited to hear about your new ward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Marlee for making it all come alive with pictures and prose! Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete