Friday, May 6, 2011

Billie Holiday and Other Idols

I took a history of jazz class once. I can't remember anything that I learned except that most every musician does exorbitant amounts of drugs and that jazz music soothes the soul. I was always drawn to Lady Day aka Billie Holiday aka Eleanora Fagan. Her voice lacks the melodic quality of Ella Fitzgerald and the raw power of Etta James, but there is something haunting and beautiful. She was arrested for drug possession as she lay dying. Tragic




She came to mind today because I went to the Georgia Museum of Art today and saw this painting:
I liked it, but it was the high point of the museum. The security guards were super old and scary. I feel like I added some class to the job. I wanted to stick up my nose and say "you don't have any real authority. I know all about it. And you call that sweater vest a uniform?" And then do my best impersonation of Caroline Bingley and make them feel vastly inferior.



"Surely, you caaan't be serious."

2 comments:

  1. I anxiously await your return. steal that movie from mom while your up in washington so we can watch it when you finally get back. oh, and can you bring my wallet too? i left it there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Billie Holiday and the perfect recording of Strange Fruits was my favorite part of jazz class/community college. Also, you're beautiful. I love you.

    ReplyDelete